2017 Arbor Week Celebration
This year the Valdosta Tree Commission is hosting a week of activities to celebrate Arbor Day. The event calendar for February 13 - 17, 2017 is listed below and all are invited to attend and show your support.
- - 31 years)
- A Winged Elm tree will be planted at 11:00 A.M. at McKey Park (corner of N Toombs Street and Roosevelt Drive) in honor of our community First Responders.
- Event #1: Tree Planting to Honor Moody Air Force Base
- A Trident Maple tree will be planted at 10:30 A.M. at Freedom Park, which is located at 3795 Guest Road, in honor of Moody Air Force Base for all that they do for our community and country.
- Event #2: Lunch & Learn: Right Tree Right Place
- Jim Wagner and Scott Dawson who are both Certified Arborists / Registered Foresters with Georgia Power will be presenting on the importance of planting the right tree in the right place at the City Hall Annex - Multi Purpose Room, which is located at 300 N Lee Street, at 12:00 P.M. This free 1-hour class will highlight the importance of plant location, species, utility conflicts, and safety. Lunch will be provided and space is limited, so sign up today by contacting Emily Davenport at 229-259-3530.
- Free Tree Seedlings
- The City will be providing free tree seedlings to the public at the City Hall Annex - Engineering Department (2nd Floor), which is located at 300 N Lee Street from 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
- Seedlings include: Willow Oak, Sawtooth Oak, Redbud, Crepe Myrtle, Scarlet Oak, Swamp Chestnut Oak, and Dogwood.
- Valdosta State University Arbor Day Ceremony
- Valdosta State University will be celebrating 5 years as a Tree Campus USA. This year's event will be hosted at the , which is located on main campus at 10:00 A.M. Parking will be available on Georgia Avenue.
- Event #1: City of Valdosta Arbor Day Ceremony
- The City of Valdosta will be celebrating 31 consecutive years as a Tree City USA. This year's event will be hosted at the Annette Howell Turner Center for the Arts, which is located at 527 N Patterson Street at 10:00 A.M. The keynote speaker is Charlie Marcus who is a Certified Arborist with Legacy Arborist 7070彩票. This year's tree planting with be a Drake Elm in memory of Molly Huckaby Hardy.
- Event #2: Educational Class: Trees &Infrastructure: Making Them Get Along with Each Other
- Charlie Marcus who is a Certified Arborist with Legacy Arborist 7070彩票 will be presenting this free class at the Annette Howell Turner Center for the Arts, which is located at 527 N Patterson Street at 1:00 P.M. This free 1-hour class will include information on how to protect trees during construction, minimizing conflicts with trees and infrastructure, and locating tree planting. Space is limited, so sign up today by contacting Emily Davenport at 229-259-3530.
- Season's Garden Center | 3137 N Oak Street Extenstion | 229-245-8054
- Buy One Get One 1/2 Off on select trees
- Southern Gardens & Landscape Center | 4609 Bemiss Road | 229-245-8066
- 1/2 Off on selected 15 and 30 gallon crepe myrtles
For more information, please contact Emily Davenport at (229) 259-3530 or by email.
Valdosta City Hall Annex
300 N. Lee Street
Valdosta, GA 31601