National Engineers Week
The City of Valdosta is excited to participate in National Engineers Week, which is February 16-22, 7070彩票. Engineers Week is a time for everyone to celebrate and wonder what the next big innovation will be. It's a call to recognize the people who create today's awe-inspiring wonders like cloud-busting skyscrapers and human travel to Mars. Our lives would be very different without daily marvels like clean drinking water, computers, and cars.
The 7070彩票 year's theme is We hope to bring awareness to the many aspects of engineering, while also sharing helpful resources. Here are some of the activities going on in our community during National Engineers Week:
Monday, February 17 - Proclamation (10:00 A.M.)
Mayor Scott Matheson will present a proclamation declaring "National Engineers Week" in Valdosta at 11:00 A.M. at City Hall, which is located at 216 E Central Avenue.
- . Here are a few TED Talks on engineering topics that are each around 5 minutes or less:
- (by AnnMarie Thomas)
- (by Shubhendu Sharma)
- (by Saul Griffith)
- (by Peter Fankhauser)
Friday, February 21 - Fun Facts
Fun Facts are always interesting, so why not share them on Friday!
Fun Fact #1: Did you know the City Engineering Department has two licensed professional engineers? Here is some quick information about each of them:
Pat Collins – Director / City Engineer
- Where were you born? Columbus, Ohio
- Engineering Degree
- Year: 1986
- School: Memphis State University
- Type: Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
- Why did you choose this field? My dad (Registered Architect) and grandfather (General Contractor) were both in the building construction industry and I wanted to join them.
- Who inspired you to go into this field? , my father, and grandfather.
- What is your favorite project that you have worked on?
- What is the best part of your job? Improving the quality of life within the community I serve.
- Famous engineer(s) you admire: (Chemical), and (Civil), and (Electrical), and (Mechanical).
Kevin Tolliver – Engineering Project Manager
- Where were you born? Detroit, Michigan
- Engineering Degree
- Year: 1979 and 1982
- School: and
- Type: Bachelor of Science in Engineering and Master of Science in Civil Engineering
- Why did you choose this field? I wanted to do things benefitting the environment
- Who inspired you to go into this field? High school counselor
- What is your favorite project that you have worked on? site work
- What is the best part of your job? Managing the construction of a project and getting positive feedback from the public
- Famous engineer(s) you admire: who is one of seven founders of my fraternity, Alpha Phi Alpha.
Fun Fact #2: Did you know that the Engineering Department uses Geographical Information Systems (GIS) to track our street sweeping activities AND we won an award for it? Click .
To learn more about our Engineering Department and the interesting things we do for our community, please visit our
Looking for creative and interesting activities to try out with your colleagues, students, friends or family? Check out where you can find lesson plans, videos, games, and hands-on activities for a wide range of engineering disciplines and topics. You can even select them based on grades and length of time to complete.
To learn more, visit where you can find a wealth of resources on programs, training, and so much more!
Valdosta City Hall Annex
300 N. Lee Street
Valdosta, GA 31601