City Announces Memorial Day Sanitation Schedule
The City of Valdosta will be closed on Monday, May 25 in observance of Memorial Day.
The Sanitation Division will collect residential garbage only on Monday, May 25. Citizens who normally have their sanitation collected on Mondays should place their yard waste at the curbside by 5 a.m. on Tuesday, May 26 for both Monday and Tuesday pickups. The Public Works Department appreciates citizens’ cooperation and patience as sanitation workers do their best to pick up both routes—over 7,000 customers—on Tuesday.
As a reminder, due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, residents can place their recyclables at one of the three drop sites throughout the city.
- City Hall Customer Service Parking Lot (102 N. Lee Street
- Five-Points Shopping Center
- City lot on Hill Avenue (1025 W Hill Ave)
With a few simple steps, you can protect sanitation workers by reducing the possibility they will come into contact with potentially contaminated items.
- Tissues, paper towels, wipes, masks, latex gloves, or any other sanitary or cleaning materials used to protect you from COVID-19 should NOT go into recycling carts or bins. (These items are never recyclable.) Recycled materials are often handled by workers when sorted later.
- Break down large cardboard boxes and cut them apart, if needed, to fit inside the recycling container.
- Empty your bottles, cans, and other containers before you recycle them.
- Food and liquids never belong in recycling.
When using the drop off sites for recyclables, please follow all safety policies and procedures. You should keep at least 6 feet of distance from other customers and city employees at all times. It is important that customers unload materials in the correct area to avoid requiring staff to handle discarded materials. Additionally, always follow all safety rules regarding speed limits, cell phone usage, and remaining near/in your vehicle.
Please call the Public Works Department at 229-259-3590 for more information.